Let’s get the negatives out of the way:
In PA-15, Democrats nominated Rick Daugherty, a candidate with no money and no organization, who amazingly managed to run to the right of his opponent Jackson Eaton, a former Republican. There’s no chance Daugherty beats Charlie Dent in November. Too bad.
I was also really hoping Patrick Slattery would beat Ryan Mackenzie in the special election in HD-134, but no dice. I had managed my expectations for a win there though, given the big Republican registration advantage.
Fortunately, that’s it for the bad news! And the good news is all very good. Consider:
- Democrats won 5 of the 6 special elections.
- Barack Obama got more votes in the Democratic primary than Mitt Romney got in the Republican primary:
- PA-17: Progressive Matt Cartwright knocked off Blue Dog Tim Holden, and the November election will be a walk
- PA-12: Slightly-more-progressive Mark Critz beat Fox News Democrat Jason Altmire
- HD-182: Brian Sims became the first openly gay state legislator in PA, after defeating Babette Josephs in a squeaker
- HD-22: Progressive Erin Molchany beat Party-backed Martin Schmotzer
- HD-49: EqualityPA-endorsed Sean Wiley beat John Harkins by 12 points
- Dem AG: I didn’t really have a strong opinion about the AG primary, but I’m going to love it if the first elected Democratic Attorney General is a woman